Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'LL KILL YOU! But I have to find a save point first...


A recent paper published by three students at the University of Texas suggests that the cause of the United States' continued decline in homicides and robberies over the last 20+ years could be attributed to playing (violent) video games. Interesting to consider this. I've been playing games pretty steadily since 1989. I've never been in a fight. I've been punched in the face by my best friend, but that was because I was drunk and I asked him to. Oh, and once I pushed a guy. 'Sbout it.

Based off of this track record, I can surmise that video games have kept me on the right side of the law and out of violent/mindless altercations. That and half the planet is taller than I am. Freaks...

I will concede though, that the most frustrated I EVER get is when I'm gaming or stuck in traffic. At home I frequently find myself yelling at my console, getting physically tense and/or bellowing my video game mantra: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO DO!!! During existential crisis(es) I sometimes find myself turning again toward this mantra.

Moral of the story: Gaming is a venting process for many and an escape for many others.

Hook 'Em.

1 comment: