Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Origin Story Vol 1.

(I wrote these on Myspace back when people used visit that site. Written from December 2006 - January 2007)

A note to the reader:
I must warn you ahead of time: I am not a linear thinker. Most of my thoughts branch off of the main topic and then veer off into the stratosphere. It takes serious cognitive strain for me to get back on topic. For this, I apologize. Also be aware that my vocabulary is comprised of a mix of vulgarity, large words and numerous colloquialisms. So this might not be the best toilet-top reading. Or maybe it is. Who knows? So forewarned, this is the story of my recent journey.

1.
The decision was a hard one to make. I think when I actually made the concrete decision to move to Los Angeles I was sitting at my desk in my apartment in Austin. It had been a year since I had graduated from college and I had to reflect upon my life. I had done my internship with Monument Productions for about eight or nine months and I had learned about the industry. However, I would later come to realize that the real industry was significantly different than the façade that Austin calls its film production. I thought I was ready for anything they threw at me. Shit, was I wrong.

After my internship I spent a few weeks sifting through North Austin for some means of income. Something entertainment related would have been nice but I was up for anything…anything not food related…and preferably not retail. I lost out on the last part. In October of '05 I was hired by a Postnet franchise to work as a CSR (customer service representative). Basically I photocopied papers, shipped stuff UPS, FedEx, DHL and through the post office. Awesome, I know. While working there I discovered (or possibly re-affirmed) the mind-numbing repetitive nature of the retail business. After a few months, I knew my shit backwards and forwards. I knew the difference between certified and certified return receipt, which services delivered on Saturdays, how to get the copiers to print out on 11x17 rather than 8½ x 11 and other women-seducing information. I was getting $10/hr, making a net profit in my bank and living very comfortably.

My social life had never been better. During my academic days I had never been much of a socialite, tending to keep mostly to myself unless in the company of trustworthy friends. But the last few years of college and beyond I had settled into a group I was comfortable around and vice versa. I was living with one of my best friends, I was within a mile of my best friend and I had an out-of-town girlfriend who came into Austin very frequently (a very good situation for a solitary gentleman like myself). And since my work schedule was from 12 until 7pm, I frequently went out at night for various activities.

The most infamous of which being Whiskey Night at Trophy's every Tuesday night. This entailed buying a bottle of Kentucky Deluxe Whiskey and a three-liter bottle of coke and having whiskey and coke until 2 am or we ran out of hooch. You must understand, dear reader that this was a significant aspect for me. Many of my literary inspirations came from this event. Numerous stories have spawned from this ethanol-fueled congregation. Usually all of my friends would gather for this weekly decathlon with the occasional stray guest star from out of town. Tuesday night was also open mic night, which lead to some interesting performances.

But something inside me realized that all of my goals in life couldn't be achieved if I stayed in Austin. There is so much camaraderie in the city and so much to do (both socially and vocationally) that it is hard to leave and may blind you to the truth of your own situation. But if I wanted to run and own my own production studio as well as achieve some kind of significant acting success there is no way to get that done in Austin. As much as the city and its inhabitants claim to be the "Third Coast" it cannot hold a quarter of a fucking candle against the City of Angeles. The solution was simple: light a fire under my own ass. Get out. Get real experience. Build up contacts. Climb the fucking ladder. Then, after a few years, if either A: nothing has or never will happen, or B: I have enough pull and/or power to work in the industry, wherever I may roam, I would decide which city I love more: Austin or L.A.

In a conversation with my boss at Monument Productions we had discussed the appeal of Austin and how, for many people it seems, the city is very hard to move away from. She described Austin as a "city of lotus-eaters"; a group of people so addicted to a lifestyle they don't even realize they are practically slaves and will never experience the outside world. Life is about the journey.

Here is the passage from Book IX of The Odyssey:
"I was driven thence by foul winds for a space of nine days upon the sea, but on the tenth day we reached the land of the Lotus-eaters, who live on a food that comes from a kind of flower. Here we landed to take in fresh water, and our crews got their mid-day meal on the shore near the ships. When they had eaten and drunk I sent two of my company to see what manner of men the people of the place might be, and they had a third man under them. They started at once, and went about among the Lotus-eaters, who did them no hurt, but gave them to eat of the lotus, which was so delicious that those who ate of it left off caring about home, and did not even want to go back and say what had happened to them, but were for staying and munching lotus with the Lotus-eaters without thinking further of their return; nevertheless, though they wept bitterly I forced them back to the ships and made them fast under the benches. Then I told the rest to go on board at once, lest any of them should taste of the lotus and leave off wanting to get home, so they took their places and smote the grey sea with their oars."

No comments:

Post a Comment